DJ in an MG

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: DJ in an MG
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 00:54:51 +0930
Well, this has been THE big race weekend here in Australia (and it seems
it is televised all over the world now) with the Bathurst V8 Supercar
1000.  A wonderful all day endurance race for 'V8 Supercars' - and
Aussies love their V8's. If you want to know what we call a V8 Supercar
- see http://www.v8supercar.com.au/

Now for the MG content.

A rather legendary V8 racer (now retired) is one Dick Johnson.  He
'conquered' this Bathurst 1000 race a few times and made a name for
himself there and on tracks elsewhere for many years.  He now runs his
own race team (with his son as one of the drivers - doing quite nicely
thank you) see http://www.djr.com.au

So, as you do, I decided it was time that I picked up the Dick Johnson
biography called "Don't Tell Me I can't Do That". And what do I find....
hey, he is a life member of the local MG Car Club!!!

Quoting from his book:

"I was 14, I think... when we first started getting into it (joining the
MG Car Club)". "... they had film evenings, night runs, treasure hunts
or they'd go down to the wharves and have a bit of a drag".  He was born
in 1945, so of course that means he joined in around 1959/60.

"And I thought, well I would love to have an MG (remember, he was too
young to drive before that)" so he went for a test drive in this car
that everyone said he should buy. "An MGTC, it was, a 1250". The local
sports car dealership was run by a racing driver, Dennis Geary, who took
him for a ride in this TC.

"Well this tram took off, and Dennis Geary took off, and he redlined
this thing at about 5800 or 6000 through each gear - and we got blown
away by the tram!  That absolutely crucified me.  I said, 'There's no
way.  This would be the most frustrating car I could possibly ever own'.
I thought right about then that I didn't need to drive this MGTC 1250 -
the FJ Holden was a much safer bet".

"I actually went out and got an FJ Holden.  An MG owner doesn't do that!"

Yes, later on he did buy an MG - an MGC.  "I felt guilty about being a
life member of the MG Car Club and not having one!"

I would guess that he was made a life member after joining so young,
going to the club 'religiously' every Friday night and going on to
become a well know racing driver.  Anyway, he does tell other stories
about fun times with the Club, so it is not all THAT tragic (like the
Hill Climbs and Motorkhanas).

Well, Dick Johnson... who woulda thought, eh?

So, any other famous MG Car Club members out there?

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///