Re: Strange ---

To: ajginsburg@msn.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Strange ---
From: LROB143@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 19:43:29 EDT
In a message dated 10/7/2001 8:23:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ajginsburg@msn.com writes:

<< First, let me say, my MGB was purchased in June.  I have driven it
 about one to two times a week to get some groceries, see a couple of
 friends, or, as in the case last night, to pick up Sushi for my wife (who
 had just delivered our 3rd child last Sunday).
 Anyway, the drive to and from the restaurant was uneventful.  For some
 reason, however, when I got home, I decided that I would park the car
 outside the garage to re-arrange something at the back.  I shut the car off,
 turned off the lights and moved the box at the back of the garage.  Less
 than 2 minutes later, I got back into the car, and attempted to restart.

 Nothing---

 Just clicking, the car didnt even turn over.....

 It is a 1974, Chrome Bumper, convertible....

 Very strange to me, especially because I havent had any problems with teh
 car since day one back in June..... >>

Adam -  I had the exact same experience in August, I had just purchased the
car, took it for a short ride at night, and I turned the car off while about
2 miles from home. Went to start it 2 minutes later and ... nothing.

After an inspection, I discovered the battery was NG and not rechargeable.
The ride discharged the battery to it's demise with the lights on. I further
found the control box NG; the generator(dynamo) was not charging the battery.
I replaced battery and control box and all is in good order. All attempts to
adjust the control box failed and testing revealed it had to be replaced.
My first clue should have been the little light under the Tach was always
lit, indicating the battery was not being charged by the generator; the
manual calls it the "ignition warning light." This light should go out after
engine is started and is above about 1,200 rpm.
I hope this helps.
Congratulations; I hope you are getting some sleep with the new baby.
Larry Roberts
1962 MGA MkII
NAMGAR #6126

///