panel/gauge light problem 79 B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: panel/gauge light problem 79 B
From: Michael Jose <mwjose@home.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 22:13:38 -0700
Hello
I recently replaced the main wiring harness on my 79 B.  After I hooked
it all back up, I have a problem with the panel lights for the gauges
fading and eventually dying every time i drive the car.  I played with
the rheostat and as I turn it, the lights will fade on and off.  I poked
underneath and the rheostat gets very hot when the lights are on.  My
schematic shows 4 wires going to the rheostat, 3 red and whites and one
red and green.  All four of these wires are connected. also, I never
touched any of the gauges or lights when replacing the harness.  Any
help would be appreciated.

A couple of identifications, if anyone knows these:
I had some wires that were cut/ not used on my old harness which are
included in the new one.
I have a 3-wire connector that comes off the harness by the alternator
plug, does this go to the distributor?
a single green wire that comes off the harness at the same point, by the
alternator, but is very long, the haynes schematic says induction
heater? what does this do?
finally, i have a brown wire that comes off the harness with 4 other
brown wires, the other four going to a long, flat, white plastic
connector, but the single brown was cut...does anyone know where this is
supposed to go?

thanks if you can help me at all, all these are on a 79 MGB roadster
Mike Jose
Phoenix

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list