Stuck Starter

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stuck Starter
From: Bill Snyder <wtsnyder@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 12:52:41 -0400
Just a note to outline a successful diagnosis and treatment on my '67
Roadster yesterday. (Can you tell that I am in a medicla profession?
While starting to pull out of the garage, the engine fired, but did not
quite crank. On the second try, all I got was a solenoid click! The
battery was well charged and all accessories worked fine. Since I have an
older 3-main engine with the inertia starter, I figured the starter must
be stuck in the engaged position. I first turned off the ignition, placed
the tranny in forth and rocked the car back and forth several times.
Click again. Then I tapped the starter motor a few times with a rubber
mallet, and she fired right up. For me, a person of limited automotive
abilities, that was a triumph (not Triumph).

My question: Is this a warning of  future starter problems, or can it
occur from time to time normally?
Thanks again.
Bill

///