Week four-starting saga

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Week four-starting saga
From: Montgomery Morris <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 19:31:31 -0700
A very big thank you to all who are offering direction in this mystery.
I've taken some voltage readings that I need help interpreting (all with
ignition switch on). The symptoms and what I've tried so far are listed below.
Battery=10V
Ignition relay= all wires except black=10V
Fuse 5,6,7,8,=10V
Starter relay=0V
-terminal on coil=one volt???
+terminal on coil=6V
10V at three-way connector between white, white/brown, and white wires on
right side under hood.
10V at connection between 4 brown wires on right side under hood.
When I use a jumper wire on ignition relay between white/brown wire and
brown wire (with these wires still connected to relay) I get no reaction.
Thanks,
Monte, 79B

Symptoms:

79B cut out and died at highway speeds a month ago. started drove home.
would start and run for 10 minutes or so then die. Finally would start and
run only if ignition key was held on. Now will not start at all but seems
to fire at last second when I release the key.

I have: traced every wire I can find and sanded all connections, and taped
any suspect wiring.
>>>     replaced the ignition relay and starter relay with new one, then put
originals back on.
>>>     replaced the ignition switch.
>>>     replaced the coil.
>>>     replaced the distributor ballast resistor. None of the new parts had
any effect, so I took replaced them with the original ones.
>>>     sanded  and tightened the ground wire to battery.
>>>     replaced the fuel filter, after cutting it open-no residue in filter.
        I did check all plug wires and the HT wire from the coil for
> spark; They all have spark though I'm not sure how much. The fuel pump
> pumps up when the ignition is on, and there is fuel getting to the carb. I
> got a hayes manual and have started through the ignition trouble shooting
> guide. It says to check for a spark on the HT wire at the distributor cap
> when you break and remake the connection of the white/green wire on the
> ballast resistor. I don't have a spark and I'm only getting about 1 volt at
> the White/black wire terminal on the coil so it says the problem is in the
> ignition switch, battery wiring, etc.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///