Re: electrics 79 B

To: "Michael Jose" <mwjose@home.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: electrics 79 B
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 20:07:20 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Jose <mwjose@home.com>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 10:07 AM
Subject: electrics 79 B

> Alternators:
> I keep going through them. Of course, I'm using the Checker rebuilds
> with a lifetime warranty, but I get sick of replacing them every few
> months, usually two or three times before I get one to last.  What could
> be causing this? What should I check?

What is failing on them?

> Gauges:
> I know that a bad temp and fuel are caused by the stabiliser going out.
> What causes a tach to lose function? It was working fine before I
> replaced my main harness, it was sporadic, and now has stopped working
> altogether.  I didn't touch any of the instrument wiring with the new
> harness except to unplug and the plug the two connectors to the main
> harness.  Any suggestions on what to check?

The tach needs 12v on a green and ground on a black, plus a white/black from
the coil -ve to function.

> Time delay buzzer:
> What does this thing do?  I've never heard it buzz, Haynes says it's not
> serviceable, but has to be replaced, but it seems like it's
> unavailable.  Before I mangle my new wiring just to attach its
> connector, I want to know if it serves any purpose at all.

It should operate a warning buzzer and lamp for 8 seconds if the ignition
and starter are operated before the belts are fastened.  Whether that counts
as 'serves a purpose' is a moot point.

PaulH.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list