Re:

To: David.Hayes@gmx.net
Subject: Re:
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:26:46 -0400
David,
  The engine heat actually gets into the heater via the two rubber tubes
that you see at the heater box. One tube runs alongside the rocker cover
to the heater, and the other one runs to a valve on the engine directly
above the distributor. See Moss catalogue item #360-410.  That valve must
be open (controlled by the twist controller on the dash) in order for hot
water to flow into the heater and thence warm the air passing through the
heater onto your feet. The fan just pushes air through the heater core
(radiator).
  Disconnect the control wire at the valve and see that its lever moves
from one end of the slot to the other. If the car has not been used in
some time, or if the heater has not been used, be prepared to replace the
valve. It's not one of the better pieces of equipment on the car, and
when it leaks it drowns the distributor, leaving you stranded and cold,
though perhaps hot under the collar.
  At this age of the car, there are probably a number of draughts coming
through holes in the firewall. Fill little ones with caulking and cover
large ones with tape for temporary fixes. There is not a vast amount of
heat coming from the heater, so you want to be able to enjoy what heat
there is.
  Check the wires between switch and fan, and the switch itself. It's
straightforward wiring. At the fan motor there are two leads. Experiment
with the way two wires are connected to the fan's wires-one way the fan
runs faster than the other way. If the fan is squeaky and baulks, it
probably needs its bearings oiled. Write back for more thoughts on that.
Bob

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:40:35 +0200 (MEST) David Hayes
<David.Hayes@gmx.net> writes:
> Hi Everyone
> I have recently bought a 1973 MGB Roadster and I have a couple of
> questions...
> 1. Heater, I can make it blow but only cold air, I think there is a
> loose
> connection somewhere between the switch and the fan because even
> cold air is a
> bit intermittant. What should I look at to try and get some warm air
> into the
> car??
> 2. On the boot near where the rubber seal stops the water getting in
> there
> is a small crack in the gully that runs water away from the boot,
> I've got all
> the rust out but I'm not sure on the best way to seal it?
> Thanks in advance for your help
> David Hayes
>
> --
> Sent through GMX FreeMail - http://www.gmx.net