Re: Bouncy Tach!

To: John Hed <John.Hed@faa.gov>
Subject: Re: Bouncy Tach!
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@zoominternet.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:14:45 -0400
John Hed wrote:

> I posted this earlier but can find no response in my digests so I'm not sure
>if
> it got thru.
>
> I have a 71 MGB and the tach needle really "bounces" around at speed and it is
> definitely not the correct RPM either.  I replaced it with a spare but it does
> the same thing, but a little less intensity.  I recently read in someone's
> British Car Magazine that said this is caused by installation of those
> "invisible" electronic breakerless ignition systems, like the Petronics one I
> installed that fits right inside the distributer.
>
>  Has anyone else run into this?  If so, how do I fix it?  Lots of these
>systems
> have been sold, so there must be a solution out there somewhere!  Thanks
>
> John Hed
> Seattle WA
> 71 MGB
> 58 MGA

There is a short flexible wire in the distributor near the points. I believe it
is
wrapped in a woven (cloth?) brown insulation. If this wire breaks the tachometer
needle falls, and the car won't start. I soldered in a bypass wire years ago
and it
still operates fine. Perhaps yours is about to go south?
--

Jim
microdoc@zoominternet.net

///