Carb fuel problem

To: "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carb fuel problem
From: "Scott Bruner" <sbruner@ligtel.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 18:30:25 -0700
Tonight I started my 1973 MGB for the first time.  When I turned the ignition
on, I went up front to check that the fuel pump was getting fuel to the
filter.  Once I saw fuel was getting to the front of the car, I expected the
fuel pump to shut off when it filled the carbs.  Unfortunately a good deal of
fuel started to pour out of the absorption canister's breather tube.  I then
thought that it might subdue once I got the car started, but I still had fuel
coming out of the tube.  Is this something that is caused by a fuel pump with
too much pressure (it is some unknown after market brand), carbs that need
adjusting, or a absorption canister that needs replaced?  Or something I have
not thought of?  This might be a typical stupid question, but this is my first
MG, and the first time I have had the thing running so I have nothing to
compare to.

TIA
Scott Bruner
1973 MGB