Re: starting saga....continued

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: starting saga....continued
From: Steve Bettencourt <steveb5815@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 07:54:46 -0500
Monte,
I had a failure of the electronic ignition in my '79 also. When I got the
car it had not run in 10 years. I brought it home and got it running and
then did all the body work and repairs. On the way home from my 1st club
meeting the elec. ign. on the dizzy started to fail. I got within 3 miles
of home and flat bedded it the rest of the way. After concentrating on
the carb, I put in the points dizzy from my '76B. IT RAN GREAT! Then I
started to have some growing pains type problems that were fuel related.
1) The needle in the rebuilt carb stuck shut 3 times. After I
disassembled the carb to find this problem the first time, a quick blast
of air fixed it the other 2. Never happened again.
2) Clogged vent line from the gas tank canister. Caused stalling which
was remedied by removing the gas cap.
3) Gas tank rust. A fine grain rust entered the carb which I suspected
was the cause of #1. I put a clear Fram filter in the line between the
tank and the fuel pump and a clear filter near the carb. Changed out the
rear filter twice when it filled up and haven't had a problem since.
4) Gas lines. Actually this should be #1 but make sure your car DOES NOT
have the original gas hose ANYWHERE ON IT. The original hose was not
reinforced, becomes brittle and breaks. If your lucky the gas tank will
drain out on the ground, if your not your car will burn due to gasoline
spraying on the red hot catalytic converter.
5) Had a set of bad ignition wires which caused me to blame my Pertronix
unit for failure. Once again the points dizzy came to the rescue but I
got new NAPA wires for the 45DE w/ Pertronix and the car has been running
great.
It has been to Lake George, NY 3 times and Loudon, NH once and a bunch of
driving around home in RI.
Good luck finding your problem. I bet it will be something simple.
Steve Bettencourt
http://www.bmcne.com
webmaster@bmcne.com

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001 23:09:14 -0800 Montgomery Morris <mmorris@nemr.net>
writes:
> Well it's week 6 of the starting saga. I had finally given up and
> towed the
> 79B to the mechanic. He spent several days checking things out,
> mostly with
> a multimeter and decided it has to be the electronic ignition gone
> bad
> (reading the manuals, I could find no way to actually test to see if
> the
> electronic ignition was bad). This was the first, original diagnosis
> from
> some of you listers and I had initially ordered a Crane x700, but
> not
> installed it pending checking out other possibilities. I had
> previously
> replaced the ignition switch, coil, ballast, starter and ignition
> relays,
> and cleaned all connections that I could find. The mechanic put in
> the
> electronic ignition and the car started (it had previously only
> fired just
> when you turned the key on and just when you released it). He called
> and I
> started to drive it home. It ran fine for a mile, then sputtered and
> died
> again. I've just had it trailered back to my garage to continue
> diagnosis.
> I just thought I'd let all of you know what happened at the
> "expert's" place.
> Monte 79B

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list