Lotus questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Lotus questions
From: Carl W French <cfrench@cybertours.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 09:40:21 -0500
Anyone out there know much about Lotus Elans? (the early ones). My brother
is looking at one and has questions and concerns. The following is some
comments he e-mailed me on the car.

"I drove the car for as much as half an hour, but I just couldn't get
comfortable with it. A better way to put it is that I couldn't get "smooth"
with the car. The pedals on an Elan are so close together that I had to
apply the brakes with the SIDE of my foot to avoid pressing the clutch or
gas at the same time. There are two two-barrel Webber side draft carbs (one
barrel per intake valve...direct), and I had "tractability problems" at the
typical 35-45 mph speeds that I run around town and the coast. I couldn't
be smooth without a lot of fartsey sputtering and popping. I also kept
beating the 2nd gear synchro and crunching my 1st-to-2nd shifts. There was
also an odd pull to the right on sharp 3rd gear deceleration, (maybe a
Lotus "Rubber Donut" thing?) The speedo and tach malfunctions were
correctable and one unexplainable episode of a lot of white smoke after our
first run (stopped just as soon as it started). "

This is a very well taken care of car by along time enthusiast.
"Block is not original to the car but is a Lotus (Ford) block ("L" under
right mount)"
"Block id's Left side 4M20 L near back. Right side LP3128LBA Compression
last measured at 165-168"
Carl W. French

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list