RE: 1500 MGA Engine Swap

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 1500 MGA Engine Swap
From: Dan Dwelley <ddwelley@excite.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 06:07:16 -0800 (PST)
Bill,

I'm not a purist by any stretch of the imagination BUT...If you are on a
Budget, the conversion is not going to be inexpensive. Keep in mind the
following: You will need to upgrade the front brakes to disc brakes to stop
the extra power you are planning to put in, You will also need to change out
the brake and clutch master cyl. and mounting so that you can meet the fluid
and pressure requirements of the new brake and clutch systems. You will need
to upgrade the cooling system to help cool the larger plant.
I mention this only so you get an idea of what you are undertaking. This is
not an inexpensive avenue nor is it something that can be done in a weekend.
It takes Money, time, proper planning and calculating, and more money for
the things you WILL forget to do.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it...I just want to let you know what you
are in for. The 1500 MGA isn't the most powerful or fastest vehicle but they
sure do ride nice. I had the oportunity to drive a friends 1500 MGA on a 450
Mile round trip. Loved it! Not one problem the whole drive!

Good luck and keep looking. Don't expect someone to have written down
detailed instructions. It isn't going to happen. :o))

Dan

Dan Dwelley
77 Midget
64 Sprite (Rotary Project)