Re: mga-nash engine swap?

To: ShearSAVVY1@aol.com
Subject: Re: mga-nash engine swap?
From: gaveleer <gaveleer@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 01:04:39 -0500
Hi Bill,

              Wow you really have been run through the guantlet. Lots of
decisions.
My view is its better to see one on the road then rotting away in the yard.

               I had a similar sitation with a 1600 mga, but the motor turned
out
to be
a 1622 replacement. I had been told that the Nash engines were fitted with
the 1622 crankshaft making them a robust 1500. Maybe it would be possible to
bore
the 1500 out to a 1622. I am not an expert on the nash engines so dont take what
I write as wisdom. The 1622 is the earlier version of what the 1800 became.
I would love to know if this rumour is fact or fiction anyway.

It might be worth your while to find out.

       A more desirable option would be to purchase an 1800 B 3 main or
5 main. Since the original is long gone. Proper mg shows there 2 liter motor
for 2600.00. If you really have to put a larger engine than that in, I think you
will find
it just as easy to buy a kit car because thats what it will be at that point.
I have to admit though an A with an eight does sound tempting.

  Do what you think best I just thought you might want some helpful Ideas.
  You will certainly learn more about the mga as you get further into your
   project. What a great car they are to look at, I love the body lines.
  After finishing the body work and sill repair I would have to say Im not
really sure how the car was assembled on a factory line. There must have been
a lot of jigging done to construct subassemblies.

  Keep us posted to your next move.

   Good luck

   Steve D
ShearSAVVY1@aol.com wrote:

> Hmmm. . .
> Antique iron anchor for sale
>
> Where does one go about finding a rebuilt/rebuildable 1600 engine (or is this
> the perfect excuse I was looking for?)

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///