RE: An electrical problem

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: An electrical problem
From: "mghirsch" <mghirsch@netzero.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 12:35:59 -0600
The dynamo used a mechanical (electrical?) system to operate the bulb.  If the
current flowed from the battery it would light, if it flowed to the battery it
wouldn't.  A simple diode did the trick.

The alternator uses a tap off the regulator.  As long as the voltage (not
amperage) from the alternator is at or above the trigger point, it will not
trigger the light.  The dim glow you see is because the voltage is near the
trigger point, most likely because one of the diodes is bad.  My light has
been dimly glowing for over a year, but with no ill effects.  I will be
replacing the regulator one of these days.

To be concise.  The dynamo light is triggered by amperage, the alternator by
voltage.

Maynard Hirsch

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list