argh! moss gasket lottery.

To: "MG list (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: argh! moss gasket lottery.
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 00:00:35 -0800
Hi everyone,

sorry to have been lurking for so long. I've been horribly snowed under at
work.

Anyway since i reported in last, i've done a huge amount of work on the car,
and learnt a lot too (thanks to ed and the occasional piece of off-list
advice).

So I have just completed overhauling the fuel, exhaust, and smog systems,
tracking down vacuum and exhaust leak gremlins. I had the whole manifold off
the car, disassembled and reassembled the whole shebang, replacing every
seal and gasket, every tube, rebuilt the carb. Road-tested the car today
driving to work and all around the countryside between the office and the
farm and back, and it was incredible, behaving beautifully, idlying smooth,
purring like a kitten. The only cloud on the horizon was the slightly
strange smell coming off the new gasket between manifold and catalytic
converter. Got back to the office, finished everything up for the day, skip
happily back to my progressively virile mgb, start it up, and i'm greeted by
the sound of a herd of flatulent elephants. not good. pop the hood in time
to see the last remnants of the new gasket between manifold and catalytic
converter turn to ash. bugger.

I was somewhat perturbed by the gasket when i put it in (not looking
desparately heat resistant) but i figured that seeing as moss sells it, it
must be the right part. Should have twigged i guess, especially as a couple
of other gaskets in this phase of the rebuild were somewhat 'imaginative'
matches for the mating parts.

Anyone else had this problem? Any nifty solutions? It's a right pain in the
arse to get to, so i want to get a gasket in which will actually last
further this time!

Actually whilst we're on the subject, i discovered a mysterious white
plastic part between my carb and the manifold, unmentioned in haynes or
leyland service manuals. inside, and looped around the mixture pasageway is
what looks like an induction heater coil to me, and lo and behold  there it
is on the circuit diagram, and a very differently shaped part is in it's
place in the moss catalog (but still labelled as induction heater). Here's
my question. the part has two spade terminals, the upper was connected to
the +12V line, the lower to the induction coil. The other end of the coil
would have been grounded against the carb if it wasn't for the arse of a
gasket job that someone had made prior. my multimeter swears blind that the
upper terminal is not even remotely connected (i.e. not even by a big old
resistor) to the lower terminal, so it appears that as wired the coil is
disconnected at both ends. if i ground one end of the coil and connect the
other (i.e. by using the spade connector tab which the +12V line was NOT
originally wired to) it pulls way too much current and would definately blow
the fuse, so that can't be right either). any ideas? experience?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

cheers

joe.

Dr. Joseph Garner