Re: Parts for cam replacement

To: "Charles & Peggy Robinson" <ccrobins@ktc.com>,
Subject: Re: Parts for cam replacement
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:00:59 -0600
Charles writes,

> Hi Enrique,
>
>   If the pushrods are not bent, etc, use them.  Replace the lifters. New
> lifters have a convex bottom, that's why they rotate as they are
> actuated. The rotation is intended to spread the wear over the entire
> surface of the liftrer.  Lifters and their respective cam lobes take a
> set as they wear-in together.  In fact, you should keep track of which
> lobe of the cam the old lifters were on as you remove them.  Then, the
> next time the cam/lifters are used they can be matched up.  If they
> aren't matched up, the lifters may not rotate as they're supposed to.

This is good advice.  As I understand it, proper cam - cam follower
design is such that the follower is not exactly aligned with the center
of the lobe, as well as being slightly convex thereby adding to the
rotational force affecting the follower.  Besides, the engine is already
cracked open and followers are cheap.  Sounds like insurance to me.

best,

The Long Lost Rick Lindsay with no remaining MGs :-|

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///