Importing a MG from England

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Importing a MG from England
From: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 20:16:14 -0500
>I received a call from someone interested in bringing their 1980 MGB with
>them when they relocate from England to Los Angeles.

>Not having any experience with something like this I'd like to hear what is
>involved in the process, so I can pass along the information to them, plus
>just curious also.

Well...... the answers is - it depends. IF the person coming over is NOT a
US citizen and they are coming over on a VISA (H1,H2....), then they can
bring a car over as personal property and drive it legally on the roads
WITHOUT having to register it for a period of 1 year. The car must then
either be titled/registered in the USA or sent out of the country. Getting
insurance is the tricky part - any insurance company will treat it a
normally
titled/registered car but I would hate to get into an accident and give the
insurance company an "out" into not having it pay the claim. I went through
this almost 20 years ago - I don't think many things have changed since
then.

However the real question is WHY ? Why bother shipping a rubber-bumpered
MGB to the USA ? There are tons of them here, probably in better condition
in California and a lot cheaper.

gerry

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list