Midget brake shoe query...

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Midget brake shoe query...
From: "Louis Mehr (SEM)" <Louis.Mehr@eml.ericsson.se>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 12:40:21 +0100
Hi Listers,

I was finally about to refit my brake drums after fitting a new brake master
cylinder and some pipes when I noticed that the springs on the shoes were
catching the hub as it rotated.

Checking in the Haynes guide & Moss catalogues I saw that the spring/drum
arrangement was shown fitted quite differently  compared to my car and
concluded that the previous owner had not fitted the shoes correctly.  It was
clear:

(i) that the springs are handed (I don't know if the springs fitted are correct)
(ii)that the springs sit behind the shoes (mine were on top)
(ii)that the shoes are supposed to lie in opposite directions (mine weren't
i.e. the two thin slots were at the top & sat either side of the wheel cylinder)

I'm not sure why someone would install shoes in this manner. Does anyone have
pictures of both LHS and RHS drums fitted correctly?

I know this is all simple stuff but I've never worked on brake drums before.

Thanks in advance,

Louis Mehr, Manchester, UK
RHD 71 Sprite with 1098 engine.

///