B on the Dyno II

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: B on the Dyno II
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 00:43:57 +1030
Just one further thing. What I will say, however, is that the dyno
answered (I think) the two related questions I asked of it before the test.

I was feeling that for all the effort that went into making the engine
stronger and more powerful (primarily stronger) I felt I was falling
short of my maximum speed on the back straight of our racetrack.  The
thing should now rev quite freely up to 7,000 but really seemed to 'hit
the wall' after 5000 (maybe a bit higher) and take forever to climb
after that.

The amateur engineer in me was guessing:

1.  Was it being starved of fuel/air?  I was looking at the 1 3/4" to
replace the 1 1/2" SU
2.  Was it being starved of air? I was looking at K&N's or horns to
replace the standard aircleaners.

They ran the final tests twice for me to try to answer the questions - I
was putting my faith in their expertise and analysis here.  Firstly they
believed that it was getting all the fuel required and they believed I
should save my money - maybe just try bigger needles, but they weren't
convinced.

They then ran the car simply without the standard aircleaners - without
any aircleaners - and we saw an immediate improvement in top-end
performance and especially where the power 'hung on' a lot longer.  At
the peak of performance without the aircleaners it showed an improvement
of almost 7hp - cheap extra power, eh?  And that wasn't with re-tuning
or any fancy filters/horns... simply NO aircleaners.

Any thoughts?  K&N's or similar and bigger needles?  Air horns and filters?

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII

///