Re: Wish bone fitting

To: "Phil Cleobury" <mgsoftt@yahoo.com>, <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wish bone fitting
From: "British Sportscar Center" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:15:10 -0800
Phil, so long as you can get it over the pivot, whether it moves "freely" or
not is academic. When you tighten the castellated nut against the big
washer, it is intended to pinch the steel tube inside the bushing so as to
prevent it from moving, meaning that all the bushing movement is done by the
rubber flexing.

However, it is important to note that the steel sleeve must be free enough
on the pivot that you can settle the car to its normal ride height before
tightening the castellated nuts. That way, the rubber is in a state of
non-flex at its neutral setting, flexing only when the wishbone moves up or
down. If the rubber starts off pre-loaded, it will wear out a lot more
quickly.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center