Re: FW: Engine dies : 1978 MGB

To: Derek Vandivere <dersk@usa.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: FW: Engine dies : 1978 MGB
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 09:34:07 -0600
Derek Vandivere wrote:

> [...]

I have had similar behavior with MGB, Victor MG-TF, Mini Cooper S
and Volvos.

In most cases, it was the electric fuel pump. When they get warm,
they fail more. The sound from the carby is from going lean & the
engine not firing: a roaring, sucking sound. Lean mix causes the
engine to backfire through the carb = puff of smoke.

Good way to test for this is to cut the ignition very briefly and
turn it back on quickly. This cycles the pump points and will
usually start it pumping again. Be very careful doing this while
running down the road if you have a steering lock.

"good reason why a mechanic had set the timing so far advanced?

Mechanic was a relative of "finger-tight Malcolm?"   ;)

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com
JJ Cale Live (w/Rocky): http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm