bloody breather gaskets

To: "MG list (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: bloody breather gaskets
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:02:09 -0800
hi everyone.

The saga continues. Whilst i had the manifold off this weekend, i thought
i'd replace the gaskets on those funny side panels on the engine block
(there being minor leaks from each). it turned out most of the leak was from
the grommets around the bolts.

anyway, i should have left well alone. The gasket for the panel which
connects to the crankcase breather hose was an absolute and complete bitch.
unlike the the other panel which had a nice grove for the gasket to sit in,
this one is just a flat face, and seeing as the gasket was a 3/16 inch thick
piece of rubber it was virtually impossible to get it to sit right. after
three tries and bolting it down hard it looked like i had it, but the steady
drip of oil tells me otherwise.

apparrently these panels are the really common leak spot, so someone else
must have replaced them!

so any tricks or tips? should i give up on the moss gasket and just cut
myself a new one out of a thinner material? I could then gasket-goop it in
place without risk of it slipping when it is bolted down.

I really want to get this right, because it is a phenomenal ball ache to
take the manifold off each time (not to mention having to buy new gaskets
for the manifold and all of the intake gubbins).

all advice greatly appreciated

cheers

Joe

__________________________