Need some advice

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Need some advice
From: "Generation" <budman@generation.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 06:50:30 -0500
Hello gang,

   I am very new to the MGB world and I have a 1978 MGB. I am limitted by a
problem of no garage to work on, so I have my car stored at my mechanic's
yard and I have been doing work on it with him (and his guidance).

   My problem is determining if I am going in the right direction and if I
am paying too much. Perhaps people here can comment.

Here is a brief history of my car:

Mechanically:

Engine head cracked
Needs new Clutch (including overhaul of clutch cylinder)
Needs Brakes to be done including master cylinder
Needs a carburator rebuild / overhaul

Body wise:

The rocker and sills (inside and out need to be replaced on both sides
The front quarter section for the front fenders on each side need to be
replaced
on the driver's side in the rear, the quarter section on the driver's side
needs replacement, and the area over the wheel

The floor is in okay shape, one little hole only( on each side). The floor
seams probably need to be reinforced. The floor is original. This floor can
be repaired versus being replaced. The weak spots are where the undercoating
missed.

This car will never be in perfect (show room condition) shape. I just want a
working car that wil look nice, be presentable, and safe.

Here is what I have done:

I have remove the engine and transmission. The front fenders have also been
removed. All the interior stuff has been taken out (seats, etc).

I cannot do any welding. My ideal situation would be to find someone ot do
the metal repair and welding, and then I would be able to prepare the car
for painting.

I have spoken with my mechanic, and here is what he suggest (with estimate
of cost):

Fix the mechanicals - clutch, brakes, carburator, head, etc - parts would
cost $500

Total investment in this car to date is about $2000 CDN (1200 US).
Another note - when the engine was removed (head taken off first), there was
a strong odor of burnt oil. Is this normal? Is it worth keeping this engine?
My mechanic believes that it is okay.

My main problem is where to go on this thing. Is it worth repairing? I
estimate that body panels that need to preplaced will cost $1000 CDN
(maximum). Then all I have to do is find someone for the metal repair (eg do
the welding)

Feedback would be really apprecaited as I am wondering if my mechainc is
steering me along the right path.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Mark Budman
Toronto, Canada
budman@generation.net

PS - How does one set this list so you get all the messages as a
digest/group instead of one at a time?

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///