Re: Starting up a motor that's sat...

To: Peter Guagenti <peter@guagenti.com>, MG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starting up a motor that's sat...
From: barneymg@ntsource.com
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 00:40:19 -0600
At 10:11 PM 12/15/01 -0800, Peter Guagenti wrote:
>.... MGA Deluxe .... It has sat for at least 6 years without having been
>started, but
>I've been able to get the car to turn over with the hand crank.
>
>How should I go about getting her started?  ....

Too much to repeat on the list, but after a few times around I have posted
it here:
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/engine/de101a.htm

>.... the cables that connected the single 12v battery .... a mess. Is
>there anyway I could simply connect a battery under the hood to crank the
>car, bypassing the rest of the electrical system?

If you want to try this with jumper cables, be aware that the starter wants
to draw a couple hundred amps and won't function well without it.  This is
likely to require the equivalent of two sets of heavy duty jumper cables
hooked up in parallel to carry enough current.  Otherwise you need real
battery cables, one to the input side of the starter manual switch, and one
to a solid grounding point on the engine.  For the purpose of starting it
the first time, the starter motor doesn't care about the polarity, the
ignition coil is not much affected either way, and nothing else
matters.  Original MGA fuel pumps are not polarity sensitive, but some
aftermarket electric pumps are.  Before starting you have to have the fuel
pump running, or otherwise provide some means of delivering fuel to the
carburetors.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg