Re: Tachometer reading 500-2000 RPM high!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tachometer reading 500-2000 RPM high!
From: matttrebelhorn@netscape.net (Matthew Trebelhorn)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:23:09 -0500
Last night's test -- heater on, dash lights out -- went as predicted.  The tach
was spot on.  This morning, just to make sure it was still there, I ran the
heater and the dash lights.  By the time I got to work, the tach was in fact
abot 500 rpm high.

This morning when I left for work, it was 28 degrees out -- the maximum errors
were early in the week, when the outdoor temp was in the high fifties.

Anyway, it pretty much looks like the tach makes mistakes when it gets hot.
Which means either replace it or troubleshoot the electrics inside it.  I found
the following:  http://www.pixelmatic.com.au/cortina/tacho.gif
which is a schematic of, and a bit of advice on, a '60s Smiths tachometer.

Well, it's better than nothing.  Looks reasonably simple...

Matt