Oil Viscosity. Was: How NOT to change your Oil....

To: "V8 list" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Viscosity. Was: How NOT to change your Oil....
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 10:48:08 -0000
Speaking of changing oil I only noticed a couple of changes ago that GTX in
the UK has changed from 15W/50 to 15W/40.  Might be my imagination but the
engine seemed to sound more rattly than usual when hot with it.  Decided to
see if there were any other 15W/50s in Halfords and found two - their own
brand and Duckhams Q.  Couldn't quite bring myself to go for the own-brand
so got the Duckhams.  The first thing I noticed was that it seemed
significantly thicker out of the can than I remember the GTX.  2nd was that
the cheapskates only put 4.5 litres in instead of 5.  But the bad news is
the time the oil pressure gauge takes to rise from cold now.  OK, it is a
factory V8 which are well know for having a slow gauge, and we have ambients
of 30/40F at the moment, but this is ridiculous.  The only good news is that
the hot idle is noticeably higher, but as I say it is winter.

Even though this oil has only just gone in I'm thinking of changing it
again, but what for?  Any better-flowing 15W/50s out there?  If I have to
settle for a /40 then maybe I should go for Shell Helix Super at 10W/40.  Or
even Mobil 1 at 5W/40 (although it also seems to be available as 0W/40 and
5W/30).  My daughters Metro was supposed to use 10W/40 as I remember, but it
had the consistency of water and leaked past oil seals, whereas GTX didn't.
Can I expect similar, or worse, leaks with the Shell and Mobil?

While searching for info I came across the following which I pass on:

More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Motor Oil
by Ed Hackett
http://www.rconcepts.com/beard/dragnet/drag/oilinfo.html

And the home page has another link to a page on Octane.

PaulH.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///