RE: adsorption canister hookup

Subject: RE: adsorption canister hookup
From: "Mark Dawson" <torchbone@bright.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 09:44:12 -0500
I hope you get a better answer than this, but here is as much as I know. I
await other answers too, since I have a similar setup. Anyhow...

I'm not sure what you mean by "the hose from the bowl vents to the
cannister"... in my setup, they don't do that. Somebody PLEASE correct me if
I'm wrong. I've tried my best to figure out the correct layout, since the
way I bought it was obviously wrong:
http://www.bones.org/torch/photos/mgb/mechanical/carbs_whats_this.html

If I'm not mistaken, the adsorption cannister should be connected to the
valve cover. The carbs are then connected to the crankcase breather. My
understanding would be that the more-conecntrated unburnt stuff gets
recycled into the carbs and burnt, whereas the less-concentrated vapors from
the valve cover get recycled through the adsorption cannister.

Even though the canister appears normal, I think it can still be blocked,
fouled with gas varnish, oil, etc. Unfortunately a new one costs something
like $140. Maybe listers who don't believe in them have a couple to sell us
cheap?  :-)

But maybe it's just an old blocked hose? Also, the cannister is part of the
larger fuel system, and thus should also be attached, via a short hose, to
the rigid pipe from the fuel tank in the rear. If any of these hoses are
old, cracked, or clogged, or the gas tank vent cap does/doesn't vent (I'm
not sure which do and which don't), etc., that could all cause problems I
guess. Here's where somebody with more knowledge steps in.  :-)

The "outlet" hose you described goes to the anti-run-on valve, if I'm not
mistaken. There should also be a hose from the valve to the intake manifold
(the smaller hose mount on the valve). Finally, there should be a large hose
running from the bottom of the valve to pollute.... er, I mean, drain below
the car.

You can see these hoses here, I think (ignore the red circles - they are for
something else).
http://www.bones.org/torch/photos/mgb/mechanical/engine_compartment_1.html

Hope that helps. Somebody let me know if I'm spewing BS.  :-)

-Mark
Topless Smurf ('75 MGB):
http://www.bones.org/torch/photos/mgb/mark_mgb_1.html

///