RE: Help!... Questions

To: "'Mike Nordling'" <nordling@mediaone.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Help!... Questions
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 12:25:23 -0800
Mike:

        Welcome to the list.  Congratulations on your new B.

1.

        It is very difficult to change the two factory Vin plates on a 68-
car, so chances are they are original.  The rivets holding the plates should
be steel and have no evidence of a central pin.

        It sounds like the past owner updated the car with 73 model year
components.  It's very common and a matter of personal taste.  Personally I
prefer the later dash and grille.  All of the components are bolt in's with
the exception of the dash face vents.  For these to be operational, holes
must be punched into the fresh air plenum.  You might crawl under the dash
to see if this was done, and how well.

2.  The upper steering column bearing has a pressed steel race and tends to
wear.  So far I'm not aware of an easy fix.  I've never seen one actually
fall apart, so I don't believe it is a safety issue, but the banging is a
nuisance.  Stay tuned, we are working on some kind of replacement bearing
assembly to fix this problem.

3.  Original heat seamed door panels and seat kits for the B are all made by
a couple of manufacturers in the UK.  Quality, fit and finish seem to be on
a par with the originals.  Redoing the door caps is the most difficult part
of the whole job.  New caps are available, but cubic dollars.  I'd strongly
suggest if you don't buy new caps, to have an upholstery shop redo your old
ones with the material that comes in the panel kits.  The material has to be
stretched just right, and special staples make the job tidier.

        Carpets?  The regular off the shelf kits divide into molded or flat.
The material for each is pretty similar, cut pile with a rubberized backing.
The molded kits are far easier to fit over the rear wheel wells and tunnel.
The condition of the original tunnel felt is what I use to decide molded vs
flat.  If the tunnel felt is in good condition, it is not too difficult to
mold the flat carpet over it.
        I am a bit disatisfied with the last molded kit I installed, as it
had wrinkles molded into it.  Not much of a step forward.

IMPORTANT.  Most modern carpet has a ruberized backing that the loops of
pile are pushed through.  When installing DO NOT attempt to pull a glued
piece of carpet up.  The pile will stay stuck to the glue and you will be
very unhappy.

Hope this helps,  now back to work.

Kelvin Dodd
Ventura, CA

79/65 MGB

> Hi! Newbie here to the list.  Grew up in a 1966 B and now in
> process of
> buying a 71 MGB in Massachusetts. Starting my mid life crisis
> early! I have
> a few questions for the old school listers.....
>
> #1.  The chassis number shows car as a July 1971 However, the
> interior has
> the dash with glovebox and grille is the 73 honeycomb style.
> Also has the
> full length tunnel console. The number on the plate matches
> the VIN number
> under windshield.  Can't see the engine number yet.  What IS
> this car??
>
> #2.  Steering wheel has some play in it.  Can be wiggled
> forward in back
> (pistoning) and slightly up and down (rocking)  Any thoughts?
>
> #3 Needs carpet kit and door panels.  What company sells the
> best quality
> and fit for these items?

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list