Re: Zero Oil Pressure

To: wcameyer <wcameyer@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Zero Oil Pressure
From: mg-dennis@mindspring.com
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 10:25:07 -0800
Is this a fresh rebuild?  The correct gasket is the larger one.  You can tell by
setting it on the pump.  I recently had a similar situation with a rebuild.  In
my case the machine shop removed all the brass plugs to boil out the block and
replaced all but one!  The one right by the oil bypass return hole.  We pulled
the pan in the car.  It was a bit of work but it can be done.  I wanted to
remove
the engine but Chuck, the owner, Said he could get the pan off in the car.
Carbs
where removed, Exhaust was taken loose, Motor mounts taken loose and engine was
jacked up.  I remember the three front pan bolts being a real bear to get a
wrench on them.  This was on a 67.

Dennis

67 MGB Still in the body shop..

wcameyer wrote:

> Just turned over the 18V engine (1974) I put in my '67B.  No oil pressure!
> Last time I did a rebuild, the same thing happened and I discovered I had
> used the wrong oil pump gasket.  I remember being glad it was on the '77,
> because you can remove the oil pan w/o pulling the engine.  This time I was
> especially careful to check gaskets, although I was not clear on the
> difference. SO:
> 1. Can anybody please explain the difference.
>
> 2. What else should I look for?
>
> 3. Is it possible to pull the pan after loosening the engine mounts and
> jacking up the engine a bit?
>
> HELP!!!
>
> Bill Meyer

///