Re: MGB engine and transmission in an MGA - Questions

To: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>,
Subject: Re: MGB engine and transmission in an MGA - Questions
From: Bob Shaw <shaws@mlcltd.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 18:07:05 -0600
At 12:49 PM -0600 1/10/2002, Rocky Frisco wrote:
>Any advice about placing an MGB engine and transmission in a Mk II
>MGA? I have the MGA on the paving behind the house and the MGB
>engine and three MGB transmissions under a tarp. Am I right in
>assuming I will need to make up motormounts and possibly an
>odd-length drive-shaft?

First I am assuming you are speaking of a full synchro transmission.
Otherwise, what's the point? Yes, you will need to fabricate some
sort of rear motor mount and you will need a new tube in your MGB
drive shaft that is 2.25 inches longer. You will want to retain the
MGB starter. If your engine is a '74 or older the front motor mounts
will be fine. You may also need to fabricate some spacers to move the
radiator forward. If the front of your car is pristine this is not
necessary. If it has been biffed, be ready.

If the transmission is an overdrive you will have to cut a center
section out of the crossmember that supports the rear motor mount and
lower it 1 inch. You will need an overdrive speedometer cable, the
electronic tach out of a pre '65- '67  and convert it to overdrive.
You will have to modify the transmission tunnel a wee bit and will
have to place the shifter hole a bit (about an inch) forward of where
it was originally. You will alst have to reshape the shifter lever to
give you clearance from the dash in 1st and 3rd.

You might also want to consider the B 3.90 final drive gears.

>Was wondering if there's a kit for this or fabricated parts
>available somewhere.

I did market one for a time, but do no longer. Just wasn't enough
interest to make it worth while.

--
Bob Shaw
Check out Shaw's Garage at http://www.mlcltd.com/shawsgarage/