Re: notes from the Philadelphia car show

To: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Re: notes from the Philadelphia car show
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 07:32:17 -0600
Bill Saidel wrote:

> Went to the Philly car show yesterday afternoon.  Had numerous
> impressions...this was my first commercial show so my comments are
> strictly personal.
>
> 1. Other than my B, I could think of 5 cars I saw yesterday that I would
> love to have, 4 because they are really sculpture on wheels...elegant and
> one is...well, see item 2.
> Cars I'd love to drive regardless of manufacturer:
> BMW Z-8, gawd, what a beauty for only $135,000 and I dislike the front
> design of the Z-3.
> Mercedes SL500 convertible, approx $90,000, again a tremendously elegant
> design.
> yea, I still go for the Jag XKR and the 2002 with its redesigned front end
> is even better, only $84,000
> and the Porshe Boxter in all its forms is quite terrific...only one in my
> price range if Porsche reduced it by 2/3rds...

Only $135k! Wow, honey, lets sell the house so I can get a Z8. I
like the
Z3. No it's not the best looking car out there, but it's nimble
and fun
to drive (from all reports, I had the keys in my hand this past
summer,
but had other responsibilities).

Other than the 190SL, I've just never understood M-Bs

Love Jaguars. I guess I am a British Car Snob.

I sat in the boxster at last years Minneapolis Twin Cities. I
couldn't even
slouch to look through the windshield. I can in the 'B, but I
think I need
to get rid of the shades, they don't move and they're really in
the way.

> 2. But the most interesting cars there were
> the only car I'd trade my B for, a group of concours level Austin-Healeys,
> '59-67 period,
> a most lovely MG PA, circa 1934....wow
> a lovely MG TD
> a group of 1950-1955 racers...Next year, the historic theme of the show
> will be that eras racers; and
> the 1960-63 Corvettes are just as nice as I remember.

Go to an SCCA or a Vintage Race, see these things run. Way cool.
I suppose
the June Sprints (Wisconsin) is a bit far to go for a spectator.
Leguna Seca
maybe? How about the Runoffs in Ohio?

> 3. I'm sure some of the other older models are quite historic, but I
> don't know car or racing history. I didn't even recognize the
> manufacturer, sorry. I bought my B to learn how to fix
> it.

It's an addiction, it will grow and grow on you. :-)

> 4. The biggest disappointment was the Honda 2000. It is the little
> thing...I drive my B with my arm leaning on the door out the window...just
> a little below my shoulder and very comfortable. In the H2000, I had to
> lift my arm above my shoulder to assume the same position. That wasn't
> comfortable.

It's a little ugly. But the reason for the S2000 is that way over
achieving engine.
(Now there's an engine swap for you :-)

> The new Lamborghini left feeling, why bother?

Exclusivity.

>     Just think, for the price of the Z-8, I could buy approximate 34 B's,
> give or take a few, say 1 per year from 1947 to 1980. Now that would be a
> stable.

:-) I'm liking that idea.

Sounds like Philly's show is a heck of a lot better than the Twin
Cities. But
then, most are.

> Bill
> '76B

----
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd, Fl 1S         PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155
Minneapolis, MN  55413          WRK: +1 (612) 664-3385
NIC:    PTR                     FAX: +1 (612) 664-4779

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///