Engine rebuild session

To: "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine rebuild session
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 07:53:28 -0600
Our club is currently in the middle of an engine rebuild session.  Just
thought I'd let everyone know how it's going.

On Saturday the 5th we removed the engines and transmissions from a 72 MGB
and a 67 MGBGT.  I already had the engine out of my 74 MGB.  Sunday morning
we got the engines mounted on the stands then fully disassembled them.
Monday morning we delivered the blocks, heads, and crankshafts to the
machine shop.  We are having the blocks boiled, new freeze plugs and cam
bearings installed.  They are going to do a full valve job and install
hardened seats on the heads.  The crankshafts just need polished.  We also
ordered all the new parts we will need to put everything back together
again.  This past weekend we spent cleaning up parts.  I must have an inch
of sludge in the bottom of my parts washer now.  My philosophy is that I
don't want to get dirty putting everything back together, so we need to
clean everything now.   Wednesday afternoon we are going to bead blast the
valve covers, oil pans, side covers, front plates and some other
miscellaneous parts (outsides only).  We are supposed to get the stuff back
from the machine shop this week, so we are planning to rebuild the engines
Saturday.  Sunday and Monday will be spent reinstalling the two engines into
the cars.

We are located in Panama City Beach, Florida.  If anyone is interested in
taking part or just watching your more than welcome to come by this weekend.
For directions just give me a call at (850) 230-8336, or you can respond to
this email.  We're having a great time with this project, and learning a
lot.  I've rebuilt a couple MGB engines before as well as Midget and
American engines.  Two of the other guys involved have never pulled their
engines out of the cars, let alone rebuild the engines, so it's been really
interesting.

Ken Waringa

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list