RE: Moss or Victoria British

To: "'Robert Marcho'" <marcho@bible.acu.edu>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Moss or Victoria British
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:39:35 -0800
Robert:

        Bear in mind that I work at Moss Motors, so I am not an unbiased
source of information.

        The British parts market is very competitive.  I would suggest
checking prices on a part by part basis.  USUALLY, (note stress) if there is
a substantial price difference on a part, you are looking at a quality
difference.  Since supply can fluctuate, even a company that has a higher
price and usually supplies a higher quality product may fill in with
inferior goods from time to time.  This can cause problems and does happen
when the primary vendor has production run problems.  The worst case is when
there is mixed stock on the shelf, so you have a chance to see the
difference in quality.

        I would also suggest looking at customer service, return policies
and freight costs.  On a very large order freight is not an issue, but there
will be many small fill in orders.

        The MGB body tubs are produced by Heritage in the UK.  Demand for
LHD tubs was very low and I do not believe that they are currently in
production as rust free US metal is generally available.  Moss did stock the
tubs in the US a few years ago, but found that damage and inventory costs
made them profit black holes.  At that time the selling price was somewhere
in the $4000 range, which was pretty much cost.  If LHD shells are in
production, Moss can special order them but figure delivered they are
probably going to be at least $5000.  Way too high compared to sourcing a
lightly rusted car from one of the sunbelt states.

I hope I answered most of your questions.

Wherever you buy, please treat your salespeople fairly and gently.  You may
not have much money, but these folks rely on what you do have to feed their
children.

Kelvin Dodd.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list