Re: Cars registered

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cars registered
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 23:55:15 +1030
Lawrie Alexander wrote:

> The "WO" in your original post continues to be a puzzlement - unless it's an
> old phone number, using the first two letters of a district suffix. Downers
> Grove is in Illinois, and Roosevelt Rd. and Cicero are streets in the
> Chicago metropolitan area.

Lawrie beat me to it (and I come from further away, too).

In the mid 80's I lived near and worked at the Lockformer company in
Lisle, Illinois.  I had a few (quite a few) big nights out at a pub in
Downers Grove.  In fact my first ever driving on the WRONG side of the
road was down in my company supplied Impala to Downers Grove - in the
snow (the first time I had ever SEEN snow in real life).  In fact it was
a first of many things - like the first time I really understood the
'double nickel' speed limit, with my passengers all shouting at me to
SLOW DOWN.

Oh yeah, and the first time that I had even seen a police car with a
shotgun strapped to the dashboard - now THAT frightened me!  Remember, I
came from a State in Australia where the police did not carry guns at
that time.  It took me ages to get used to the different police cars and
uniforms.

Oh yeah... so many memories (and some really nice girls who 'loved my
accent' :-)

So yes, I know where Downers Grove is, and the one I know certainly
ain't in Canada unless I really did take a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII

///