Race prep time

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Race prep time
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 17:24:06 +1030
Well, at last it is coming up (slowly) to that time of year again when I
throw poor old Primrose around the track.  As usual, I am looking to
make all those little changes which might grab me an extra second or two
advantage.  It seems I always do this just prior to the first race and
end up taking a 'new' and 'untested' car out, sometimes to disasterous results.

This time I want to get some changes made a little in advance.

The three immediate projects are:

1. New Tyres:  After a strange experiment with 15" rims and 205/60
Potenzas (which gained me a second over my 185/60 Yokohama A509s on 14"
rims) I am going for the Potenzas (R/soft compound) again.  This time a
more sensible 195/65 on 14" rims.

2. Air Filters/Needles: After the dyno test found she was starving for
air above 5000 revs with HS4 SU carbies and standard filters, I am
putting on Pipercross filters over ram tubes and going up a size in
needles.  I will think about the HS6 carbies (the head is fairly
severely ported).

3. Front Sway Bar: Last season I ran on the big lump of steel 7/8" sway
bar, mostly in an effort to keep the both rear wheels on the ground
during hard cornering.  It did the job as far as the rear wheels are
concerned but introduced understeer that I have finally become far too
unhappy with.  I am fitting a 5/8" sway bar instead to see if I am
happier with that.

Yes, I am even experimenting with oils (a local place has started
stocking Motul oils, expensive but nice).

Note the above are not massively expensive (except for the tyres) or
complicated procedures but all are aimed at getting that extra second or
so out of the car.

If anyone has some further Martha Gardner-type tips, hints or
suggestions (yes, I am paying for some 'driving lessons' at the track,
too :-) for further 'quick and easy' fine-tuning of this tatty old dear
(the car, not me) then bring them on.  This car must remain street
drivable and street legal (or as close as possible:-).

I have a month and a half and a very minimal budget to implement them -
so give me your secrets and I will report back how they go.

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII

///