Re: 75#oil pressure (was zero)

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 75#oil pressure (was zero)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:10:58 -0800
on 1/23/02 12:12 PM, Bill Meyer at wcameyer@email.msn.com wrote:

> Yes, the missing plug was the problem and I now have about 40 miles on it and
> the pressure looks great. BUT
> 1. I put a 180 deg thermostat in it, but it pushes right up to 190 and with
> very little in-town driving hits 200.  After all night in the garage which
> must be in the low forties, it reads 100.  So, do I have an inaccurate
> thermostat, bad temp sender, or what?

Must be the gauge or the sender, not the thermostat. A good gauge will be on
the bottom peg at ambient temp (at least in winter). Possibly the gauge can
be calibrated.

> 2. No first gear synchro in this late tranny.  I do have other, non-OD units
> in hand.  Can I bolt the O/D on any late tranny (I'd like to use the one with
> the dipstick)?

I don't think you can just attach an OD unit to a non-OD tranny. The output
shaft is different, and possibly other things. I think there's a note about
it in the Moss catalog.

> 3. The stick has been cut off.  How does one turn down the shaft to thread it
> for a knob?

I suppose you could just run a series of smaller and smaller dies on it.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

///