re: dis-assembling the A

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <Tommy_Samuels@markivauto.com>
Subject: re: dis-assembling the A
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:50:22 -0500
Warning: before you remove the body from the frame - ensure the sills are
structually sound. The only thing tying the front to the rear (once off the
frame) is the sill assembly. It will be much harder to re-align the front &
rear clips if the sills break as you remove the body. The doors will not fit
correctly unless the alignment of the body sections (via the sills &
pillars) are correct. Even with strong sills, bracing accross the top of the
cockpit is advised.

Anyway, memory tells me there are:
1. fasteners behind the grill in front of the radiator
2. across the firewall 'shelf' (and I think some of the bolts holding the
brake/clutch pedal hanger also attach to the the frame)
3. at the bottom of the hinge pillar (inside the cockpit)
4. behind the door opening - accessible from underneath, in front of the
rear wheel arch
5. in the trunk (boot)

You may need to remove the fuel tank to allow clearance for the body to be
lifted up past the filler extnsion.

Unbolt the upper steering column clamp from the body and prop up the
steering wheel/column.

Two avearge size guys can lift the bare body (minus fenders) up & off. BTDT!

Eric