Got the Pertronix in, Now what?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Got the Pertronix in, Now what?
From: Steve Morris <MGA1500@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 22:40:17 -0500
Hi gang,

The weather here was nice this weekend, and I got a lot done around the
house and put a little time in on the MG.

I added a Lucas Sport Coil and Pertronix Ignitor on my '58 MGA today.
Pretty easy, except my DM2 distributor plate is non standard, so it
didn't fit ( a large steel tab where the plastic grommet exits, so the
Pertronix rubber grommet wouldn't come close to fitting.) I had a spare
standard plate available, so I mounted the Pertronix on it, and I'll
carry the other plate with the points and condensor already mounted and
adjusted. The engine started right up without any timing change (already
warmed up before making any changes, and again after mounting the Sport
Coil.)

I've kept a bunch of posts for future refererence, but I can't find the
one on recommended plug gap setting for the hotter coil. I *think* it was
.035 inch gap. Anyone know? I've read Barney's recommendation before, but
can't remember now (BP6ES plugs.)

Like I said, the engine started right up and ran OK. My ear told me that
it was running smoother and accelerated better (in neutral. The car is up
on crutches awaiting a from WW hub change.) Any recommendations as to
timing with the hot coil and Pertronix? Or just stick with the "peak RPM
and back off 100" like normal?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Morris     Avon, Ohio