[OT] I know MG Car Co. doesn't have this problem...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [OT] I know MG Car Co. doesn't have this problem...
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:12:57 -0500
Monday January 28 7:02 AM ET

Aston Martin Chiefs Told to Dump Bondage Gear

LONDON (Reuters) - Aston Martin, James Bond's top carmaker, has withdrawn
handcuff keyrings and leather underwear merchandise after its U.S. parent
Ford complained about their bondage connotations, a British newspaper said
on Saturday.

The British-based luxury sports car company has ordered designers to come
up with a more restrained collection of branded lifestyle goods, according
to the Financial Times.

Nearly 4,000 customers received catalogs featuring scantily clad models and
offering silver handcuff keyrings, handcuff belts, "perforated leather
boxing shorts'' and ``denim suede boxers.''

Among the recipients was Edsel Ford, a member of the American car company's
founding family and a keen churchgoer and advocate of family values, the
Financial Times said.

Aston Martin declined to comment on the controversy, the Financial Times
said, but a spokesman did confirm that the company would be reprinting the
catalogs with 20 new items.

"We are re-evaluating the range and will come out with a new range,
including pens and briefcases, that are more conventional,'' he was quoted
as saying.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///