Re: Dist. replacement.

To: MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dist. replacement.
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 01:34:12 -0600
Skye Poier wrote:

> Well, the Octagon guys generally know what they are talking about.
>
> Usually when a dist is on its way out, the bushing is getting worn
> allowing the dist shaft to wobble around, changing your timing.
>
> I've heard that fitting an electronic ign (such as pertronix) will help
> as these are not as affected by worn dist shafts??  If not, you can
> simply get the thing re-bushed, no?
>
> If it is not the shaft then it might be the advance weight springs.  If
> these are gone I dont know anywhere to get replacements...
>
> Or maybe its a leaky vac advance?  Pull the hose from the vac advance to
> the carb or manifold and suck, see if the vac advance holds a vacuum.
> If it doesn't plug the manifold tap for the time being, you will lose a
> little bit of full-throttle performance but you don't want an air leak
> in the intake while u fix it.
>
> Other than those (you DID replace the points/condensor/rotor/cap/wires
> and plugs right) thats the ONLY parts in the dist that can get worn out!!
> Its a very simple contraption.
>
> Watch the timing marks with a strobe, if its wobbling all over the place
> its probably a worn shaft.  Check your dwell with a proper meter too.
>
> Anyway, I'd fix the original unit, personally.

A couple of other things to check: good electrical contacts, intact
wires. Often a diz will start acting weird and you'll find that the
wee braided ground wire that provides a good ground from the rotary
plate to the carb body has become frayed from years of movement and
is down to a few strands or has come entirely unwelded and is only
providing ground by lying next to it. The wires in a vac advance diz
have to bend as the rotary plate turns and eventually this plus
years of oxidation will work-harden the strands and they will start
to break.

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com