SU HS4 carb jet setting on 1968 MGB/GT

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU HS4 carb jet setting on 1968 MGB/GT
From: Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:19:58 -0600
On the SU HS4 carbs, looking at the height of the jet inside the jet
bearing, what is the relationship in terms of rich/lean mixture with the
jet higher or lower in its bearing?  In other words, as I adjust the jet
upward inside the bearing, does that make the mixture more rich or more
lean?  Is there a general wisdom on what height to start with for a
nominal mixture setting?  I'm about to put the carbs back together and
right now I have it flush with the top of the bearing.

Thanks.