Re: manifold gasket

To: "Mike Janacek" <mjanacek@snet.net>,
Subject: Re: manifold gasket
From: barneymg@ntsource.com
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:08:34 -0600
At 03:13 PM 1/31/02 -0500, Mike Janacek wrote:
>.... from the MG Enthusiasts BBS. The poster stated that metal side should
>go toward the "heat".

I always figured the metal side should go towards the heat too, which is
why I always put it with the metal side toward the manifold.  The head is
water cooled and the exhaust manifold is not.  Under hard running
conditions (or even moderate) the exhaust manifold will be running much
hotter than the cylinder head.  The only problem (if you can call it that)
I have ever had putting it that way around is that the fiber side then
sticks to the head, and sometimes you have to scrape it off later.

For some (wierd and unknown) reason I still believe the metal side should
go towards the head, but I just haven't heard a good logical reason for it
(yet).

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg