Re: pinion gear-steering rack

To: hdr@jump.net
Subject: Re: pinion gear-steering rack
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 08:04:04 -0500
  Removing the top on the rack, then the spring and the brass damper is
one way to fill with oil. Since this operation must be done in close
proximity to radiator and other impedimentia, there is an easier way.
   The area of the rack and the tie-rods onto which you fitted the boots
is clean (you did clean it thoroughly before installing new boots?), just
pry back the rubber and squirt in the oil with a syringe that you got
from a pharmacy or a veterinarian.  The rack holds receives only 1/3 pint
or so for an initial fill (check your workshop manual, but it's not much)
and you can fuss that much into the boots with the syringe, or even with
a plastic squirt bottle.  Once the oil is in the rack, it will distribute
itself during normal driving.
Bob

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 23:29:59 -0600 "Henry D. Reynolds" <hdr@jump.net>
writes:
> so i just replaced the rack boots in my '77 B today. Why shouldn't I
> have popped off the top of the steering rack to fill it w/ oil?
>
> hdr
> '73 B (RIP)
> '70 B (RIP)
> '72 B in garage w/ doner engine on a stand
> '77 B almost runs!
>
> "but hey i still have parts from every one!"

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///