Re: Cleaning

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cleaning
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:32:12 EST
In a message dated 2/18/02 5:10:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
uniack@us.ibm.com writes:

> I recently acquired a 80' MGB LE from my father.  It had torn rack seals
> (which I've fixed) as well as some undetermined oil leaks.  Over the years
> there has been quite a build up of dirt, grease, oil etc on the underside
> (and the engine compartment) of the car.  I'm a bit new to the car
> restoration work, is there a good way to go about cleaning off all the
> grime?

- - - - - - - - -

The best cleaning job entails removing the engine, which I gather you'd like
to avoid.  (Don't blame you.)

There are some spray on cleaners available in auto supply stores.  The best
is probably Gunk.  Try this method.  Get a coupla cans of Gunk.  Spray (or
brush, if you get the pourable can) Gunk all over the engine, taking care to
stay away from carburetor and distributor.  Now, drive the car to a nearby
coin-op car wash, and hose down the engine.  Again, stay away from carb and
dizzy. You might put a plastic bag over those to keep them dryish.  Driving
the car a short distance warms up the engine and helps the Gunk to work on
the gunk.

That will get the majority of gunk off the engine.  You can detail it from
there.

Alternate spray degreasers are Simple Green or Castrol Super Clean.  Watch
the Castrol stuff.  It is VERY strong and may remove paint.

BTW, coin-op car washes have drains that are supposed to handle the greasy
stuff.  Don't hose it down in your driveway.

If you are new to the list, let us know all your details.  Where are you
from?  Any other problems with the car?  Izzit your first LBC?

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget "The Project"