Re: Underbodycoating?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Underbodycoating?
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:50:15 EST
In a message dated 2/20/02 3:54:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Menno.Meijer@ict.nl writes:

> Whats
> "best practice" to clean and re-coat the under-
> body of my MGB? At some parts of the underbody
> the coating looks ok. At other parts the coating
> is bad (nearly gone).
>
> My first step would be: Remove all the lose
> coating and recoat. What's the best way to defeat
> rust? Is it enough just to recoat the underbody?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Remove as much loose undercoating and rust scales as you can.  Use scrapers,
a chisel and a wire brush.  An angle grinder will make short work of thick
rust, but don't get carried away or you will have holes to fill.

Paint the underside of the car with Corroless or POR-15.  Corroless is from
Eastwood Co. and POR-15 is the same basic thing.  There may be similar
products in your area.  They convert rust into an inert compound that resists
new rusting.  After that dries, paint the underside with roofing cement (we
tight!), or buy spray-on undercoating.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget