Re: Satellite radio (was rubber bumpers)

To: Zubrovka <zubrovka@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Satellite radio (was rubber bumpers)
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 09:47:57 -0500
I dislike tapes, just because I live in northern New England, where the hot
summers will melt them and cold winters will freeze the mechanism.  CDs
work great here.

The obvious benefits of CDs is that you can choose your own music when you
want.

XM Radio is satellite radio.  There is a cost - about $10 a month.  XM
broadcasts on its own band, leaving you free to also get local stations on
regular AM and FM.  Think of it as a radio "add-on" package of an
additional 100 channels.

If you do a lot of driving in "odd areas" (meaning, for reception), you'll
be able get satellite channels "between cities", unlike with FM where
you're restricted to only the most powerful, and often saccharine,
broadcasting stations.

So, it's different.  Again, some advantages, some disadvantages.  Depends
what you do, and what you like.

You'll have to buy a special tuner (~$250) plus it's probably more for
installation and a special antenna, then for $10/month you can have XM
radio.  If you don't like it, stop paying the $10 and just use the regular
radio.

I don't have one myself, but it'd be interesting to try.  But for my MG I'm
happy with CDs for now.  Better yet would be an MP3 player, so I don't have
to hide the CDs every time I park it with the top down.

- Tab

At 05:02 PM 2/23/02 -0600, Zubrovka wrote:
><...>
>
>Also, while thinking about non factory radios, has anyone checked out
>the new XM radio? <xmradio.com>  It seems that would be a good way to
>go, not having to mess with cd's or tapes.
>John

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///