Rubber bumbers refurbished - yet another list successs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rubber bumbers refurbished - yet another list successs
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 10:17:10 -0500
Hi all,
        I've been saving all the discussion about redoing rubber bumpers from
the
list over the last 2 years and finally bit the bullet yesterday.
I have a '76 red-orange RBB with black bumpers which had been repainted for
sale when I bought it 4 years ago.

Some of the rear bumper had the same red-orange in spots and I lived with
it thinking it was overspray.

I used all the list messages to plan my yesterday. I started sanding and
sure enough, as I went from 280 grit to 400 grit, I discovered the black
was the paint. The original bumper color must have been the red-orange I
thought was overspray. Surprise #1.

After the requisite sanding and the cleaner, an adhesive prespray and I did
primer, I slowly and lightly sprayed semi-gloss black for rubber bumpers
on. The 1st few coats looked ok...it was nice to eliminate the see-through
colored spots. The 4th coat dried overnite and this am, I opened the garage
door and wow, surprise #2. It looked great. I mean great.
I can only begin to imagine what it was like to buy a new B in the '60's or
'70s.

Anyway, today, I'll, no doubt ruin, it by a light 600 coat, followed by 2
more coats.

I was only planning to do the rear bumper but it looks so good that I'd be
silly not to do the front. There goes next Saturday...

Happy Spring and driving here in the mid Atlantic. Although with this past
winter, why did I ever stop? Certainly not for the cold and snow.

Adios,

Bill
'76B

///