Re: Triumph Stag, etc. now racing cars

To: skye@ffwd.cx
Subject: Re: Triumph Stag, etc. now racing cars
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 12:17:17 -0600
Are you thinking racing vintage or SCCA?  I don't know about 914 vs.
Spridget in SCCA because by the time the cars are built up they are only
cosmetically similar to the production vehicles.  Almost as far apart as
NASCAR cars are to a real Monte Carlo, Taurus, etc.  However, I think if
you watched the SCCA Nationals there was a 914 amongst the Spridgets that
got in Huffaker's way when he lapped it.

In vintage racing the cars are typically very close to the street
versions, just stripped down for weight with some safety and handling
features.  Here I think what you would gain in mid-engine handling in the
Porsche would be lost in the power to weight ratio.  Now, this is just my
humble biased opinion, of course, but it is really hard to beat the
handling and power to weight ratio of a Midget.  My vintage racing Midget
will outhandle virtually any car on the track, with the certain exception
of the Lotus 7's and sometime exception of the Minis, depending upon the
track and the preparation of the cars.  Lately, even with a largely stock
engine, I've been tailing some of the slower MGB's that have more
performance upgrades and more horsepower.  They'll pull away from me in
the straights, but I'll advance on them in the corners.

The only 914 in our club is usually way back in the group, behind even
the slower Spridgets.  Now, that may have more to do with the preparation
of the car and the ability (or motivation) of the driver than the car
itself.  As always, YMMV.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD