Re: rusty mgb

To: "mgs list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rusty mgb
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 17:55:37 -0700
I try not to get too controversial. But as an owner of several rusty MGBs,
I have found them to be an excellent buy for the budget minded owner. So
long as they are structurally sound that is.

Lets take this car for example. The asking price of $1500 is a bit high for
a rusty car. A rusty running B normally is worth, maybe $500-$1000 tops? So
long as its midsection isn't sagging and the floorboards are mostly intact,
you might have a decent car for less than $1000. It won't be the prettiest
car around but you still get a quality ride for a cheap price. In time, you
can eventually get it fixed or maybe use it for parts at a later time when
you can afford a better body.

At least, that was my thinking when I bought a fairly well rusted 71BGT in
1983. No worry about floorboards or structure though with the hardtop
version. Eventually I bought all the patch panels and waited for the day to
finish it. But then my son wrecked it (not his fault) a year ago. I got an
insurance settlement plus kept the BGT. Then with  the patch panels, and a
72B body with a fair bit of rust that I got with another B, my dream
started coming to life and even better too - a dream of almost 20 years and
now my 71BGT is coming alive again as a 72B! Engine, transmission, front
end, and more will be loaded into the body soon. I have the body done (at a
body shop) - patch panels installed and new paint. black tulip, earlier
this year. I'm now slowly putting it all together. Crazy maybe but I'm not
planning on selling it, I plan on driving it.

David