First race of the season

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: First race of the season
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 01:36:43 +1030
Our first race of the season (I think I have mentioned it before :-) is
on Sunday.  Yes, March 10th is alo the first CART series race at
Monterrey, but I digress.

After three months break we are all desperate to get out there again but
with a late Summer it looks like the temperatures will be in the mid to
high 80's farenheit (track temperature could be 90F) which is hotter
than our cars really like - and hotter than my body likes in a black
double layer driving suit and black helmet and no roof!  So I won't be
trying anything too dramatic on this first outing.

Apart from my overall target of shaving a few seconds off last year's
times (not anything like the five second improvement after the total
engine rebuild, but a few seconds just the same) my secondary target
after improving the fuel and air feed to the carbies will be to finally
hit the magic 100mph down our back straight.  These targets may have to
wait until a few 'practice' sessions and a slightly cooler day.

Believe it or not, I am mostly looking forward to the 'gathering of the
clan' and especially the barbecue afterwards!  But don't tell any of the
other guys on the track around me that I said that!

I just can't believe how nerve-wracking it gets that first time after a
break when you drive out onto the track.

Having just worked trackside at the Formula 1 Grand Prix in Melbourne -
and next weekend the same thing at our big V8 Supercar Race on part of
the previous Aussie Grand Prix F1 track around the parklands right in
the city of Adelaide - you sometimes wonder if some of the adrenalin
rush gets lost when we are peddling our little four cylinder OLD cars
around the circuit.

Basically, I am guess the answer will be ... NO.

I will let you know if I do anything stupidly spectacular.

Out of the 100 or so cars maximum entry list I estimate that this year
there will be at least twenty MGs on the track throughout the day - the
most of any of the other makes.  With fellow club members, guests and
friends cars, our pit area always looks the most impressive! ;-)

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII

///